Painting and Parenting Don't Always Agree
Today I can see why moms of preschoolers are not generally known for being prolific artists. Who has time to paint when more important things require doing?
- serving meals
- changing diapers/potty training
- finding missing socks
- pushing swings
- doing laundry
- doling out/cleaning up/baking snacks
- arranging dandelion bouquets in vases
- filling watering can for little helpers
- cleaning up tracked-in mud
- refereeing squabbling daughters
- helping to color in coloring books
- reading Charlotte's Web
- having a tea party/beach party/bubble bath party
- making pink satin capes for dress-up
- wiping runny noses
- singing another round of "Pat-a-Cake"
I've talked in the past about time management being a mom/artist's best friend, and it does help. But some days, the kids require all my attention and energy, and no amount of organization will change that. I'm a little jealous of all the daily painters on a day like today. I'm lucky to get one painting completed per month! I've thought about getting a sitter once a week to watch the kids while I paint, but it doesn't feel right at this point. Maybe when I start homeschooling this fall and have even less time!